On February 8th, in the conference hall of the San Donà di Piave Hospital, the meeting “Surveillance and prevention of infectious diseases transmitted by mosquitoes” was held. Programming activities year 2018″ in which the municipal administrations of the territory of ULSS 4 were present.
The meeting was attended by Dr. Nicolardi, director of the Department of Prevention of ULSS 4, some technicians of the same department and the Mayor of San Michele al Tagliamento, Pasqualino Codognotto, who presented various topics.
First of all, the novelties were presented:
- Recently in southern Italy 4 cases of Malaria have been recorded, which confirms that this infectious disease has not totally disappeared in our territory; every year new infections occur, so it is not possible to lower one’s guard.
- The ECDC (European Centre for Disease Control), just in these days, has sounded an alarm on the approach of the Aedes aegypt mosquito, responsible for the transmission of the Zika virus and Yellow Fever, as well as Dengue and Chikungunya, to our areas.
In relation to the increasing occurrence of mosquito-borne diseases and public awareness of these issues – see the case of over 250 Chikungunya infections in the municipality of Rome, the widespread infections from West Nile or the unfounded case of suspected Malaria in Bibione – the mayor of San Michele al Tagliamento gave his testimony on the management of the mosquito emergency last summer, during which, in addition to the resolution of the actual emergency, it had to be accompanied by correct and timely communication that would bring clarity to the sea of distorted and imaginative information disseminated by social media and the less professional press.
What has emerged can be summarised in these two points:
- Prevention is fundamental, therefore, to carry out a conscious and serious fight against the vector, through larvicidal and adulticidal pest control.
- The adoption of a protocol, as indicated by the Ministry of Health, the Veneto Region’s Guidelines and the competent local ULSS, makes it possible to deal with the emergency in a timely and functional manner.
The tasks of the ULSS have been highlighted:
- Implementation of the Regional Guidelines.
- Support to Municipal Administrations in drawing up pest control contracts.
- Control of the work of pest control companies in the municipal area.
- Coordination of health emergencies.
Dr. Nicolardi invited all the Municipal Administrations, especially the newcomer of Cavallino Treporti, to adopt and apply the ordinance that the same ULSS 4 has structured at the service of the Mayors, precisely to standardize the Municipalities to a high and coordinated standard, involving the private sector in the fight against mosquitoes, because only by combining the control of the carrier in public and private areas it is possible to obtain an effective reduction of the mosquito population and therefore a real benefit.
The following information material was delivered to all participants on computer support:
- Regional Plan of Integrated Surveillance and Measures to Fight Carriers year 2017, in which there are all the information and directions for mosquito pest control.
- Presentation by Dr. Nicolardi containing a general overview of the mosquito problem, with particular attention to transmitted viruses.
- Report 2017, in which the activity of the health company for the year 2017 is presented with the inclusion of the sampling data in the Veneto Region.
- Information leaflets developed by the Veneto Region and ULSS 4 for private citizens.
The meeting ended with a debate in which some officials from the technical office of the Municipality of Portogruaro and San Michele al Tagliamento intervened, bringing to light the difficulty of involving private citizens in mosquito control. Gianluca Orazio, owner of a pest control company operating in the Venetian coastal area, was also present at the meeting at the invitation of Assocamping and representing many open-air activities of Cavallino – Treporti, who, not being able to be present at the meeting but having understood its importance, had expressly requested the presence and subsequent sharing of the contents.
Finally, Arch. Tuis, representing the Municipality of Cavallino Treporti, described the mosquito control activity carried out in 2017.
In relation to the issues addressed during this important meeting of information and sharing, e-pestcontrol, for its part, will soon present to all its customers campsites, the Protocol for routine and emergency management for the monitoring and control of mosquitoes vectors of West Nile, Dengue, Chikungunya and Zika viruses, and as early as spring, will start on two facilities a planned experimental activity, which we will report at the end of the season.
This is an adaptation of the plan that e-pestcontrol has custom-designed for Verona’s Valerio Catullo airport and approved by the Ministry of Health and USMAF.